Saturday, July 30, 2011

More Than Pizza: The Larry and Carol's Story (Part One: The People)

In the coming weeks and months, I would like to start sharing some of the greatest moments from my days working at Larry and Carol's Pizza in Greensburg, PA.  I was there for about 6 years, and while very unproductive, I don't know if I have ever had more fun. L&C was a small place, privately owned.  It was populated with some of the strangest, yet most interesting people I have ever met.

The owner, Mr. J, was a great guy.  I really liked Mr. J and he is the main reason I stayed as long as I did. The day he shut the doors for the last time was one of the saddest of my life. He was a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan. The funny thing about Mr. J. was how much he looked like a pizza shop owner.  Perfect grey hair, and a grey beard.  He couldn't have looked more Italian if he tattooed a cannoli to his forehead.  Only problem is, he wasn't Italian; he was French.

Then there was the young married couple, Mr. and Mrs. C, who never left each others side.  Mr. C was extremely knowledgeable on football and rap music, and Mrs. C scared the hell out of me.  Mr. C was a pretty funny guy.  He was great at hurtful insults.  He also had good comedic timing.  He did tend to complain a lot, but at L&C that was pretty much a universal skill.

There was long time cook Mr. Peppercorn.  Mr. Peppercorn was another great insult artist.  He also was probably the best storyteller of the L&C crew.  Mr. Peppercorn was a fun loving party guy in his late 30's. To me, his greatest line of all time was in reference to another employee who owned a hot tub(Dan).  He said "I wouldn't get in that hot tub if I was on fire. I would run right past it and hope the neighbors had a swimming pool."

Mr. D was a mainstay of  L&C.  He looked like a cross between a mechanic and one of the Super Mario Brothers.  Mr. D was known for his flannels, his Doral cigarettes, and his AMC Eagles.  Mr. D scared a lot of people who thought he might be crazy.  Deep down though, Mr. D was just a sweetheart who only wanted people to think he was crazy. Or he was crazy, I don't know.  Mr. D did give me my 2 black cats, and for that I am forever grateful.

There was Ms. N.  She was a 30 something woman, with a bit of a "reputation". She had worked there before I started, and I heard many unflattering stories about her.  She came back to L&C after I had been there a few years.  From the stories I heard, I expected a monster to walk through the doors.  Turns out Ms N was adorable.  She was always great to me, and I even heard second hand that she stepped up and protected me from an evil succubus one time. It goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover.  Either that, or I never read the book because I couldn't stop looking at the cover, one of the two.

That was just a quick intro to a few of the L&C players.  I left a few out, but will introduce you to them as needed.

Now its time to meet the team's superstar. His name is Dan.  Dan is the funniest person I have ever met.  He looks remarkably like Trey Parker, the co-creator of South Park. And, he is just as twistedly clever too.  The reason I call Dan a superstar is because almost every funny story I have from the L&C days involves him. I have seen him write hilariously brutal songs that can crush a persons soul, off the top of his head. He has crafted devious ways to mess with people that would make Johnny Knoxville blush. On top of that, Dan is a very interesting guy.  He knows just about everything there is to know about US Presidents.  In fact, I learned from Dan that Ronald Reagan was the first person elected President of the United States after being the head of a union.  He also knows more about sports than anyone I know.  If Dan says something about an offensive lineman from the 60's, I know I can steal that fact without looking stupid. Anyone with a true appreciation of comedy would respect the demented mind of Dan.

Stay tuned for more from the world of Larry and Carol's Pizza.  A few things I will be covering in future episodes: Dan getting caught with his pants down, Comedian Steven Wright's visit to L&C, Mr D's war, The Lottery Winner, and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment