Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Apathy to Ecstasy: A Pirate Fan's Story.

I want to pose a question regarding the average Pirate fans emotional expectations.  And I say emotional because realistically it is hard to actually believe they have a legitimate shot at winning the World Series.  But you can't really control emotions, and the expectations they bring.  For example, every football season, every Steeler's fan will be happy with no less than a Super Bowl victory. Half of the team could die in a plane crash flying home from the final preseason game, and most fans would still tell you that this was their year.  Pirates fans, rightly so, have been the total opposite. No sane Pirate's fan would have uttered the word "playoffs" before a new season begins.  So, where were average Pirate's fans at the start of this season, and where are they now?


I can only speak for myself, and here is a clue, I named my Fantasy Baseball team "When is Football?"  That's right, I would have been more excited about a two day lecture on the currency exchange rate than I was the start of the baseball season.  I dread it every year.  It is usually six months of unpalatable marketing propaganda.  How can we (the Pirates organization) trick all the sheep to come to PNC Park, and maintain the level of sub-mediocrity that we strive for? That is how every baseball season goes with almost no deviations.  


Somewhere along the line though things began to change. To me it was out of nowhere.  Going into the season I would have called our pitching staff below average.  Now, from seemingly out of nowhere, the Magic Pitching Fairy is dumping his Magic Pitching Goo all over Pittsburgh.  With each passing week, the Pirates continue to maintain an stunning level of competitiveness.   Stellar performance after stellar performance forces every fan, past and present, to stand and take notice.


The only question is how far can we allow the emotion to carry us?  I find myself slowly starting to get that Steeler mentality with the Pirates.  Suddenly .500 isn't good enough.  I want the playoffs.  What if the Pirates win 90 games and miss the playoffs?  I know deep in my heart that I will be sad and angry for months.  I would do myself the great disservice of missing out on that earth shattering accomplishment to brood over what could have been. Four months ago I would have bet the over on a 100 loss season, and suddenly I feel entitled to October baseball in Pittsburgh. Yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous, but that is what happens when your emotional expectations are through the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment