Friday, July 22, 2011

Look...There Goes Technology.

I finally understand how old people get such a shitty reputation for being techno-dolts. I'm not old, only 32, but somewhere recently technology left me in it's wake.  Maybe it is because I don't have a job where I need to think in any way. Basically allowing my brain to slowly atrophy. Or maybe I am just too stubborn to try to learn anything new.  Anyway, the reasons why don't matter, here are a couple of things that have passed me by:


Ah, the good old days
I can't be 100% percent sure, but I think my downfall in video games started when I made the transition from Playstation 2 to Playstation 3.  This is around the time that the games became so unbelievably complicated that they started to cease being fun.  Back in the Sega Genesis and Playstation 1 days, there were basically 3 or 4 active buttons.  My favorite game was the NHL games.  I would argue that NHL '95 is still the greatest game ever made.  It was simple, hit B to pass, A to shoot and C to hit someone.  That was it.   Simple, easy, and awesome.  Nowadays, you need to execute a 4 button combo to accomplish anything. Up, R1, L2, X, and that's probably just to take a slapshot.  There are spin moves, jukes, and all kinds of other things that require a 140 IQ just to remember.  Not to mention, you HAVE to use the analog control.  I despise the analog control.  I can never go from pushing up to pushing down smoothly.  It's such an awkward move that I always almost drop the stupid controller.  


Where is the send button?
The first time I saw a Twitter feed, I felt like I was driving through Chinatown.  All kinds of symbols and abbreviations.  It was total gibberish. Hashtags, @ signs, retweets, its enough to make your prostate burst.  After some studying, I have finally started to get the hang of all these smoke and mirrors.  Here is my main problem with Twitter: it is impossible to get followers. No matter how many funny or insightful things you tweet, nobody retweets or follows you.  Of course I think the main reason for that is nobody actually reads other peoples tweets. Which is understandable, because does anyone really care what @EntitledDoucheyTeenager thinks about "So You Think You Can Dance"?  "Tweet, look at me, look at me, make me feel important, Tweet Tweet."  Yuck. 

And yeah, call me Harry Hypocrite, I'm complaining about people desperately seeking attention and approval in my blog. 




No comments:

Post a Comment